What do I need to bring with me to my first visit?

Patients should bring their insurance card, and for anyone who is younger than 18 years old, we request that a patient or guardian is present in order to discuss parental consent and confidentiality. First-time patients can also visit the New Patients section of our webpage, where you can find helpful links for the New Patient Letter, New Patient Forms, Pregnancy Information, Our Policies, and a Map and Directions.

When should I bring my young daughter in for her first Gynecological exam?

It is recommended that young women have their first Gynecologic exam at the age of 12, or when they become sexually active and have questions about contraception and STD’s.

I experience cramping and moodiness during my period. Is there anything that I can do to help with this?

Since Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, or PMDD, is very common for a lot of women, there are a variety of ways to ease its symptoms of bloating, irritability, and moodiness. Women are encouraged to avoid or decrease caffeine intake, limit salt, and to develop a healthy exercise routine, among other things. There are also vitamin supplements that are intended to specifically help with the symptoms of PMDD. If natural methods don’t alleviate your symptoms, there are certain medications that can be prescribed by a physician.

When do I need to start thinking about getting a Mammogram?

Women aged 40 and older should have a mammogram every 1 to 2 years. Women with an increased risk of breast cancer due to things such as family history are advised to talk with their physician about whether to have mammograms before the age of 40.

I am experiencing some burning while urination, is there anything to help with the pain?

When dealing with burning urination, it is advised that you increase your fluid intake. Drinking Cranberry Juice has also long been recognized as helpful in alleviating the symptoms of what might be a bladder infection. Women who experience burning while urinating are strongly encouraged to have a urinalysis performed so that the exact problem can be identified and diagnosed. Your gynecologist may then recommend other treatment, or they may decide that the prescription of medicine is the best course of action.

I am experiencing vaginal discharge and some vaginal itching. Could I have an infection?

It’s very common for most women to have some vaginal discharge, which may occur more or less at different times of the month, depending on the individual. However, it is important to note whether or not the vaginal discharge has a foul odor to it, as this may indicate a bacterial infection. Vaginal itching accompanied by a thick, white discharge could potentially indicate a yeast infection. It is advisable to seek out a gynecologist for a simple exam to confirm the diagnosis and for swift and effective treatment, as abnormal vaginal discharge can usually be treated with medication.

I skipped one of my birth control pills, and I am now experiencing vaginal bleeding. What should I do?

The skipping of just one birth control pill can potentially produce a hormone imbalance, and which can cause a symptom referred to as “breakthrough bleeding.” This is a relatively normal occurrence, and you should take the missed pill as soon as you realize you’ve skipped it. If you have skipped more than two birth control pills, you should use another form of birth control for the remainder of the month, and then contact your physician.

I missed my period but the pregnancy test is negative. What should I do?

Women who miss a period but find their pregnancy test result to be negative should cautiously monitor the situation, as sometimes something as simple as an increase in stress can cause a woman to miss her period. However, if the same thing happens during the next cycle, you should contact your physician immediately to schedule an appointment; you may need to change your birth control.

I’m having problems with constipation. What can I do?

The natural ways to alleviate constipation include, but are not limited to, eating certain foods like apples, bran cereal, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, dried peaches, prunes, raw carrots, and any other high in Fiber foods. Women are also encouraged to increase their water intake to 6 glasses per day. Some medication that can help with constipation includes Fibercon, Dialose, and Duphalac Liquid, just to name a few.

I recently found a lump in my breast. What should I do?

Women who have found a lump in one of their breasts should contact their physician IMMEDIATELY to schedule an appointment for an evaluation.